Packaging engineer, a role with varied and comprehensive responsibilities
Bring high performance packaging solutions to market
By means of an analysis of research studies, a packaging engineer identifies the technical requirements, economic conditions and time constraints which will come into play in developing an effective packaging solution, and ensures communication and reporting throughout the life of the project.
Other responsibilities include carrying out analyses of competitors and the external environment in order to come up with the packaging solutions of tomorrow.
Implementing the project
A packaging engineer develops and optimises packaging solutions, graphic design, and packaging and wrapping equipment. This involves specifying and checking that these meet the necessary technical, regulatory and economic criteria. Then feasibility studies are undertaken and solutions put into production via packaging workshops and manufacturers.
Provide technical support
Packaging engineers also support the practical implementation of packaging systems, both within and external to the company, and guarantee regulatory compliance.
They also resolve malfunctions, suggest and implement required improvements, and evaluate the overall performance of the initial production.
A packaging engineer’s role also includes analysing customer complaints, production and supplier non-conformities.
This entails undertaking diagnoses of processes, packaging ranges, and the economic structure of packaging, as well as drawing up and putting forward improvement plans for the packaging system.
Recent roles that are enjoying a boom
- Technical Projects Manager – Yves Rocher
- Packaging Technical Project Leader – Philips Automotive Lighting
- Engineer, Packaging Development – Johnson & Johnson – Global Strategic Design Operations
- Packaging Manager, R & D Europe – Affinity Petcare (Spain)
- Development & Mechanisation Manager – S.C.A. Packaging
- Packaging Category Manager Fragrance – Oriflame (Sweden)
- Development Engineer Care products – Parfums Chanel
- R & D, Methods, Laboratories and Innovations Manager – Emin Leydier
- Packaging Development Manager – Groupe Bel
- Packaging Projects and Optimisation Manager – Nestlé Purina Europe
- Industrialisation Manager – Rexam Pharma
- Packaging Lab Manager – Pepsi Cola Int. (Ireland)
- Site Operations Director – Abzac Canada Inc.
- Group Packaging Manager – Somfy
- Development Manager Packaging/Purchasing – Groupe Ales
- Exploitation Director – LRG – Cartonex
- International Coordinator MDD – Kingfisher group – Castorama
- Research Manager – Capitole (Groupe Saica Emballages)
- Global Packaging Manager – Novartis OTC
- Manager Packaging Research and Innovation – Shiseido Int.
- Packaging Graphics Engineer Europe – Barilla Harry’s
- Brand Packaging Developer – Agency – Graphèmes
- Information Systems Manager – Cadarache
- Graphics Coordinator – Senoble
- Printed Products Developer – Martell, Mumm, Perrier-Jouët
- Print Department Manager – Imperial Tobacco Worldwide
- Packaging Products Engineer Marque Repère – Scamark
- Packaging & Design Manager, R&D – Nestlé USA Backersville
- Infographics and Production – Laboratoire Biopharme
- Graphics Manager – Schering Plough
Users, Distributors and Manufacturers of Packaging, from SMEs to Multinationals
- Food and agribusiness
- Cosmetics and Perfumery
- Industrial products
- Cardboard manufacturers
Sectors that are recruiting:
- Perfumery and Cosmetics: SHISEIDO, Yves ROCHER, ROCHAS, PUIG PRESTIGE (Paco RABANNE)…
- Pharmacy: NOVARTIS, ROCHE, LILLY, BAYER, CLARINS…
- Food and agribusiness: PEPSI COLA, MOET & CHANDON, MASTERFOOD, NESTLE PURINA, MADRANGE, CADBURY, ROYAL CANIN, BONGRAIN, Pains JACQUET…
- Other users of packaging: PROCTER & GAMBLE, LEROY MERLIN, AUCHAN, DECATHLON, REYNOLDS, RECKITT BENCKISER, 3M…
- Creative agencies: IDEOPS, GRAPHEMES, CB’a DESIGN…
- Packaging materials and machines: SMURFIT KAPPA, INTERNATIONAL PAPER, SEYFERT, EMIN LEYDIER, ST-GOBAIN DESJONQUERES, BORLIOLI ROCCO, LEYGATECH, AUTOBAR, TREOFAN, BOBST…
Just a few of the roles in which our graduates are now employed, plus an indication of their education prior to Esepac:
- Renaud, Master’s in Chemistry, Packaging Development Engineer
- Jean-Daniel, Bachelor’s (Technology) in Chemistry, Packaging Director
- Emilie, University Diploma in Industrial Technology, Logistic Project Leader
- Franck, Bachelor’s (Technology) in Biology, Packaging Manager
- Anne, University Diploma in Mechanical Sciences, European Development Manager
- Caroline, Bachelor’s (Technology) in Business Management, Packaging Manager
- Benoît, Bachelor’s in Chemistry, Packaging Development Engineer
- Laurence, Bachelor’s in Quality, Packaging Quality Engineer
- Alexandrine, University Diploma in Physics, Drinks Development Manager
- Marc, Bachelor’s (Technology) in Chemistry, Packaging Project Manager
- Romain, University Diploma in Chemistry, Support Service Team
- Loic, University Diploma in Biology and Biochemistry, Packaging Development Manager
- Julien, Bachelor’s (Technology) in Packaging Engineering, Head of Packaging Group